
On quiet day right before we left the islands, Mwema (our neighbor) called into our house, “Mama G...!” This type of thing happens a lot on the islands. Someone calls into our house from the street. Sometimes it is just to say hello and by the time we walk to the door they have already walked on down the street. Sometimes they stay long enough to have an extended greeting. And sometimes the shout into the house is the beginning of a longer visit or conversation.
So when I heard Mwema’s familiar voice, I came outside (drying my hands from the laundry I had been doing) to see if she was still there. Sure enough she was leaning against our small porch and watching people walk past on the street. Once we got past the standard inquiries into our respective health and families, it became clear that she wanted to chat. She likes to practice her English but our conversation shifted between our two mother tongues. She complained about different things-- how people raise their children, the weather, us leaving, but then she started to talk about how people didn’t take their religion seriously. Maybe they did some or all of the required things, but they didn’t have good hearts and they did many bad things too.
I told her I thought she had hit on something very important. The heart matters. I told her that I believed God thinks the heart is very important. She nodded in agreement. Yes, God wants us to have good hearts. I told her that I believed that God wanted our hearts more than the good things we may do. It was very important. She was thinking about this when another neighbor walked past and greeted us.
Mwema went on her way to do the errand that she was supposed to be doing.
We’ve just finished re-reading a book by Timothy Keller called the Prodigal God. It challenges us to make sure our lives aren’t about religion or legalism or self-righteousness or hypocrisy, but about following and seeking God. God wants our hearts.
PRAYERS ANSWERED
The conference was a nice time for Megan and Tom’s mom and sister. We had another opportunity to share with a youth group this past week (a fun treat for us since we used to be youth leaders). We’ve had the chance to connect and spend time with some old friends. Our kids are really cute and have fun playing and dancing together.
PRAYERS REQUESTED
Pray for the new workers that are just starting on the islands and for those responsible for their orientation. Pray that their new lives there would be fruitful and blessed. We travel to California on Monday-- pray for safe and smooth travels for us and our kids. Pray that we would always seek to give more our hearts and lives to God.