This is our old blog postings from 2009-2011. We have a new blog at our same main address: tmislands.blogspot.com.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

In His Strength

(Pictures: Megan and short-termers at the crater; Megan with volcanic rock formations)
I (Megan) just got back from climbing our island’s volcano. It is the island’s only real mountain and it dominates the entire island’s geography. At its peak (2300m or 7500 ft) lies the largest active crater in the world.

Now I’d like to say that I climbed it without difficulty...that I sprinted past the two girls almost a decade younger than me. I’d like to say that throughout the trip I exhibited innate athleticism and great “in-shapeness” (even though I haven’t hiked or even exercised regularly in years). I’d like to say that I reached the end of the trail with energy in my step and already ready for the next peak. I wish these things were true, but they’re not.

The entire hike was evidence of God’s grace and provision, not my own strength.

The first display of God’s grace was the weather. The volcano is often shrouded in clouds. Rain is common. We hiked up under blue skies. We had beautiful views of the eastern coast of the island and once on the top we had unobstructed views of the full depth of the crater (which is often filled with fog). I had no control over the weather.

The second expression of God’s provision was the fruit of the land. Most of the climb up we munched on wild red guavas that grew on trees in bunches, as well as the wild raspberries and strawberries. I had no idea that we had picked just the right time of year for eating off the land.

The third major display of God’s grace was getting me down the mountain in one piece. We slept Thursday night in the crater and our guide wanted to be down for Friday’s midday prayers so we didn’t have the benefit of a leisurely descent. My legs had been pushed by the over 6,000 ft of hiked elevation on the way up, but on the way down they were pushed to their breaking point. Our short-termers (my fellow hikers) said their legs hurt. My legs didn’t hurt, they just didn’t have any strength left. The last hour or more my knees were giving out on me regularly. I couldn’t will strength into my legs. I couldn’t make the trail end sooner. I started praying, realizing that this was a great opportunity for me to learn a lesson about trusting in God (even if I’d have rather not learned it). So I relinquished any personal glory for having successfully hiked the volcano and knew that now it was God who would get the credit. I no longer trusted my legs and in myself knew that it was just a matter of time until I had a bad fall. So I continued on in His strength. It was about His grace, not my strength.

We made it down by 12:15pm. There were no injuries. Once we were settled back in our home it started to rain and rained a lot of the afternoon.

PRAYERS ANSWERED
Megan and our short-termers had a good hike of the volcano-- good weather and no injuries. The island brother got the funds needed to travel, but his father died before he left and so the family had ceremonies here instead. Another brother, Zani, who was under a lot of pressure and trials, seems to be in much better spirits and even has a job possibility.

PRAYERS REQUESTED
Pray that Megan and our short-termers all recover quickly from the hike (they are all hobbling around today). Pray that Zani Is able to get a job. We only have two weeks left on the islands before returning to the US, pray as we finish our teaching responsibilities this week. Our short-termers leave at the end of the week-- pray for them as they say goodbyes and pack up.