This is our old blog postings from 2009-2011. We have a new blog at our same main address: tmislands.blogspot.com.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Psalm 27

(Pictures: Tom and kids on Father's Day; Father's Day rainbow)
Psalm 27 has always been one of my favorite passages and God has brought me back to different parts of it at various times in my life. This week was one of those times.

It was Tuesday morning and Tom went to check on the kids. They have made the front stairs their new favorite play spot. From there they can watch the kids playing on the street and interact with people as they pass by. We’ve bungeed the gate shut, so generally they can play nicely but every once in awhile there is crying or screaming and we go to see what the problem is. As Tom peeked out our front door he saw a man sitting at the bottom of our steps.

It was Zani (the brother we told you about earlier this month). Tom greeted him warmly but it was obvious that things were not going well. Zani has been rejected. His mother kicked him out of the house and no one in his family or neighborhood will feed him. He has been trying to get a job but doesn’t have the connections to land one. He got malaria this past week and was very sick, but his mother (with whom he has been very close) didn’t even come to see him. He didn’t announce himself at our house because he had imagined that Tom was angry with him somehow and that perhaps he would not be welcome. He felt alone and forsaken.

Tom eventually got him to come inside. As a team we have been memorizing Psalm 27 and so Tom decided to read over it with Zani. As he did the Psalm came alive in a new way. “The LORD is my light and my salvation. Whom shall I fear?” Each line seemed to speak directly to Zani’s situation. “Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me.” And as they read, Zani found hope. “Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me.” He was encouraged. “Be strong, and take heart and wait for the Lord.” Tom and Zani hope to study and encourage each other on a weekly basis and we hope you will be praying for him—that he will be comforted and encouraged in this hard time.

PRAYERS ANSWERED
Thank you for your prayers—in general things have calmed down and we aren’t feeling so tired out. There is a plan for a new meeting place for the brothers! The first planned meeting was ill-attended, but it is a start. The car accident insurance saga has finally ended- the reconstruction was very accurate and insurance paid for all the repairs on our team’s vehicle.

PRAYERS REQUESTED
Pray that the brothers would come around each other and encourage each other. Pray for Zani to persevere and stay strong. Pray for us as we go to the third island (where we are hoping to lead a team in future years). It will Megan’s first time and we hope to confirm which town we hope to live in.

PSALM 27 The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid. When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident. One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek. that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, To gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe within his dwelling he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy I will sing and make music to the LORD. Hear my voice when I call, O LORD; be merciful to me and answer me. My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” your face, LORD, I will seek. Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my Savior. though my father and mother forskae me, the LORD will receive me. Teach me your way, O LORD lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors. Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, breathing out violence. I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.