This is our old blog postings from 2009-2011. We have a new blog at our same main address: tmislands.blogspot.com.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Discussing Current Events





(Photos: Our son being cute; A recent hike with our group up one of the islands many hills)
After breakfast on Monday, I headed to the kitchen and turned on BBC radio while I washed dishes. It was my normal morning routine. It didn’t take long for us to hear the news. I’m not talking about Prince William and Kate Middleton. I’m talking about the death of a man the American military has been hunting for ten years. The news was surprising, but a possible item of concern. I quickly sent text messages to our teammates around the island, as this could have repercussions. What would our neighbors think? What would their reaction be?
We didn’t expect rioting in the streets and there wasn’t. We didn’t even get angry looks. One neighbor came over to tell me the news and ask if I had heard. I said I had, and that was that. Not much of a reaction. So I thought it would be interesting to ask my English class what they thought. Many of the members of this class are professionals with good jobs. What would they think about it? I asked them how they felt when they heard.
One woman said she was afraid. Maybe someone would hear the news and want revenge. Maybe something bad would happen. Another thought it would make no difference-- someone else would take his place and the violence would continue. Most of my students said they thought it was a good thing. He had killed many people. He had made life difficult for regular people like them. He had given their religion a bad name. “When people think of violence and acts of terrorism, they think of our religion,” they said. “When we travel we are pulled aside and asked lots of questions, because our name sounds like the name of a dangerous man on the watch list. Maybe now that he is gone, things will be easier for us.” The majority of the class seemed to hold this opinion, but one student was outspoken in the other direction.
She’s a friendly young woman, married, working, and polite. She doesn’t wear a burqa, or dress overly conservatively, or give any indication of what we might refer to as “extreme views.” But when I asked her how she felt when she heard the news she said she was very sad. “He was a good man, a religious man,” she said. “He was just repaying those western countries for all the bad things they’ve done. They deserved it. They are the ones who should be called terrorists.” As I listened to this mild mannered woman speak, I wondered. In a class of 15 one person feels this way. Is this the normal ratio? Do 1 in 15 islanders feel the way she does?
Finally one of my students turned and asked me how I felt. How did I feel when I heard? Surprised?—Certainly. Relieved?—Yes. This man was responsible for many terrible things. I’m glad that he will not continue to carry them out. But then I remembered hearing on the BBC that people from my far away home were cheering, singing and dancing in the streets, and I felt strange. I can remember after 9/11 watching as distant parts of the world danced in the streets over the death of Americans. It felt so wrong of them to do it. It makes me wonder, is it ever right to cheer for someone’s death? Is it good to be excited when people are killed? Now, I’m like most people—when I’m watching a movie and the bad guy gets it in the end, I feel that rush of exhilaration, that feeling that good has triumphed over evil, the desire to pump my fist in the air and say, “Got him.” But now I wonder if I should. What am I cheering for? Justice? Righteousness? Victory? Revenge? Death?
PRAYERS ANSWERED
The former worker’s trip to the third island went well and he felt there were several divine appointments. One of our short-termers had malaria this past week but we got the medicine she needed and she is feeling completely better. Our daughter is turning 3 this week! We thank God for her life and all the ways she is growing. Our short-termers have both had opportunities to share with people through their jobs.
PRAYERS REQUESTED
Our teammates are almost packed up and saying their last goodbyes. Pray for their family as they transition back to life in the States for the next several months, especially their kids. Both Tom and Megan have new opportunities to study with people, pray for us as we decide and prepare what to study. The brothers are still searching for a regular meeting place. Pray that something would become available soon.